How to Spend Time With Your Loved One With Dementia on Valentine's Day
A day filled with love and appreciation for each other.
This can be a difficult time for folks who are losing their loved ones slowly to dementia, but with some preparation, you can make the day a good one. Here’s how to spend time with your loved one with dementia…
- Send them or together make a homemade card - it means a lot more when the noodles are glued to the construction paper and the words are your own, compared to current Hallmark options
- Share old pictures with them - they’ll remember the older memories more than the recent ones, and it’ll give them a chance to share their own stories with you
- Make their favorite meal - food is a love language for many, and a favorite meal goes a long way when you’re activating multiple senses
- Turn on some old tunes - they’ll connect more with the older songs they grew up with and find a sense of calm and joy
- Plan a day with their favorite activities - there’s nothing better than a whole day with your favorite things
- Watch old movies together - this allows them to reminisce and can bring back old memories
Whatever you choose, remember they’re still here. They will enjoy the celebration as much as us.